November 29, 2010

New Wind Generator Installed

At the end of last winter we had a major blizzard with winds gusting over 100 MPH and my small wind generator was ripped apart and smashed. I then went all summer without a wind generator.

This fall I installed a new Malard 800 Watt low wind unit. This is designed to start in a fairly low wind but to handle the higher winds as well. So far so good. The folks at Mike's Wind Mill Shop (http://mikeswindmillshop.com) know what they are doing. I have also purchased inverters from them. They are great to deal with.

They say the blades have been tested to 0 degrees F, so far I have field tested the unit down to -27C or about 18 degrees F below zero. I am sure by the end of the winter we will have tested the blades to 40 below zero. Will keep you posted as to how the unit holds up in sub zero temps.

Having a wind generator sure changes the way you feel about wind. Now you enjoy the wind as it is putting power into the battery bank.

Cheap-O Economics

No comments:

Post a Comment