April 4, 2012

Cheap-O Economic Returns

Cheap-O Economic Returns

It has been a year since my last post. During that time a lot has happened. In Feb. Of 2011 I suffered a heart attack, and had quad bypass surgery in May 2011. It took all that summer and fall to recover and get back to being able to function. The good news is that I am doing great and the surgeon tells me my heart is better then it was 20 years ago. For that I am very greatful.

Now I am going full strength and ready to pick up where I left off. I have a list of projects left over from last summer plus ideas and plans for new projects, more then enough to keep me busy for the whole summer.

I trust that everyone is doing great and that the economic climate is encouraging you to take the steps to necessary to regain control of your money and your economic future.


Gas Prices and Mortgage Rates Creeping Up

Every time I pull into a gas station it costs a little bit more to fill up. A few cents a liter or a gallon adds up by the tank full. We have seen gas prices at the pumps go up by more then 10 %. With the average family already spending $6000.00 per year on gas that extra 10 %, means they will have $600.00 less to spend each year on things like food and clothing. Given that the forecast is for gas prices to keep moving upward, there will be less and less money available for other purposes.

Don't forget that with increased transportation cost, businesses will pass the increase cost of doing business on to the consumer, which translates to everything will cost more.

Morgage rates are moving up as well. Royal Bank and TD Bank both raised there 5 year rates .20 percent and that trend is upward as well. The fact is that at some point interest rates have to return to a "normal" level.

Business analyst ate telling us that even a 2 % increase in mortgage rates would result in a significant number of consumers having to spend greater than 40 percent of their paycheck just for debt service. Add that to the increase in gas expenses and you can see that there is trouble on the horizon.

So how do you adjust to cope with this onslot. First DO NOT incur any additional debt, if you feel you have to have that new High Definition 54 inch LCD TV, wait to buy it until you have the cash to pay for it, don't put it on the credit card. Make a concerted effort to pay off your debts, starting with the debt with the highest interest rate.

Next drive less, I know that is easier said then done, but there are things you can do to cut down on the number of miles you drive. Walk or ride a bike, if that is not practical then organize your trips so that you are combing several trips into one.

A lot of money advisors would suggest getting a car that gets better milage, and that is a good idea, BUT not if you have to borrow thousands of dollars to save a few hundred on your gas bill. I own a. 1984 Dodge that I paid $500 for, I can buy a lot of gas, even expensive gas for less then making car payments. So make sure you are looking at the total picture when making decisions.

Automotive experts tell us you can save a lot of gas by following some simple rules. Don't let your car idle for any length of time, check the air pressure on your tires, slow down, keep your car tuned up, check your air filter often and keep it clean or replace it should it need to be changed.


Don't be like those people that have a bumper sticker that says, "I owe I owe it's off to work I go". Start now staking your claim to economic freedom. You should always be striving to reduce your debt, and reduce your cost of living. It can be done.

Cheap-O Economics

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, Jan! I have to admit that many of the ideas you've presented here and in your articles have helped my family to look at things differently. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete